=> Criminal Bu$h Covers-Up for the corrupt House of Saud again ... placing U$ Lives in Danger ... says UN ambassador
=> Vox Populi ©
2003-07-30 13:33:19 UTC
They Are Against Us

Wednesday, July 30, 2003

By Ken Adelman

Fox

Don't we, the American people, have a right to know if a "friendly country"
bankrolled the Sept. 11 attacks, and funds terrorists bent on destroying more of
America?

Obviously so.

Then why is President George W. Bush hiding evidence of terrorist-funders? He,
after all, gave us the sharp moral distinction of countries being "either with
us or against us" after Sept. 11, 2001.

Last Friday, the Sept. 11 Congressional Commission (search) issued its massive
report, which documents CIA-FBI (search) bureaucratic spats, and overlooked and
under-shared intelligence. Little new in that news.

What's new in official documents -- the report's real zinger -- is being hidden
from the American public. Were I a scandal-monger, I'd pull out the gold-minted
"C" word of scandals.

But it's not a cover-up -- at least, not an effective one.

For someone slyly gave a glimpse to a New York Times reporter, who lead the
newspaper Saturday with: "Senior officials of Saudi Arabia have funneled
hundreds of millions of dollars to charitable groups and other organizations
that may have helped finance the September 2001 attacks, a still-classified
section of a Congressional report on the hijackings says, according to people
who have read it."

If true, this means Saudi Arabia (search) is "against us" -- big time, since it'
s the spigot for the terrorist resources.

The Times piece makes it clear that it is true: "Some people who have read the
classified chapter said it represented a searing indictment of how Saudi
Arabia's ruling elite have, under the guise of support for Islamic charities,
distributed millions of dollars to terrorists through an informal network of
Saudi nationals, including some in the United States."

While it's infuriating that Saudis bankroll terrorist fanatics, that's a fact
about a foreign country that we must confront.

But it's more infuriating that the Bush administration spikes this critical
information and continues to consider -- as Secretary of State Colin Powell
chummily put it -- Saudi Arabia as "a great friend to the United States for
many, many years and a strategic partner."

This happy-face stance would surely succumb to Bush's realism and moralism, were
it not for Saudi money. The Saudis treat Washington, D.C., like Jakarta or Kiev,
spreading its petro-dollars around PR firms and oil and investment companies
connected to top government officials.

Well, we're not Jakarta or Kiev. Someone should remind the Saudis of that. Our
government cannot be bought.

Bush officials explain how cooperative the Saudi government was during the Iraq
war and sundry oil crises. I'll grant them part of such claims. Yes, what else
could Saudis do with oil but sell it on the world market? Saudis make nothing of
value. Moreover, they've spent themselves into such staggering hock as to make
inconceivable any oil boycott or embargo.

Granting us over-flight rights during the Iraq war -- which, by the way, removed
the number one threat to Saudi Arabia itself -- pales in comparison to granting
them (the Islamic fanatics) funds for terrorism.

Why doesn't such a straight-talking administration talk straight about this
problem? Or at least not "classify" the information the congressional commission
carefully gathered?

We have a right to know whether Saudi Arabia is "with us or against us."

We know they're "against us" on values. Saudi Arabia ranks rock bottom on civil
or political freedom. According to the non-partisan Freedom House (search), it
looms in a lower circle of government hell along with North Korea, Iran, Syria,
and the like.

They're sure "against us" on honesty. It's ranked by Transparency International
(search) and such respected NGOs as one of the most corrupt regimes anywhere.

They're obviously "against us" on religious freedom and tolerance. Christians
cannot hold a Mass or a church service anywhere in Saudi Arabia. Even carrying a
Bible into the country, or handing out Christian literature, is grounds for
deportation or arrest. Saudi anti-Semitism (search) is downright sickening.

The Sept. 11 commission connects the dots of top Saudi royals paying "protection
money" to terrorists -- protection to them by keeping terrorism as an export
item, not, for sure, protection for us. Quite the contrary.

Documents filed last year in U.S. federal court claim that Saudi royal family
members met with Usama bin Laden (search) and gave $300 million-plus to Al Qaeda
terrorists for a pledge of no terrorism in Saudi Arabia itself.

Saudi officials of course deny this. They claim -- get this! -- that it's not
Saudi money, but Israeli agents, who did the dastardly deeds on Sept. 11.
Minister of Interior, Prince Nayef, said that Zionists "are behind these
events," for it was "impossible that 19 youths including . Saudis carried out
the operation of September 11, or that bin Laden or the Al Qaeda (search)
organization did that alone."

That the Saudis have funded -- and probably are funding -- groups promoting
terrorism seems clear now.

So why can't we see the evidence? We do have a right to know.

Kenneth Adelman is a frequent guest commentator on Fox News, was assistant to
U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld from 1975 to 1977 and, under President
Ronald Reagan, U.N. ambassador and arms-control director. Mr. Adelman is now
co-host of TechCentralStation.com.
Peter Vos
2003-07-30 16:36:29 UTC
They Are Against Us
Wednesday, July 30, 2003
By Ken Adelman
[...]
So THIS is what it looks like when things start to unravel. For years the
Saudis have been funding Wahhabism in places like the United States,
Pakistan, Afghanistan, and throughout the Middle East. This is where the
conflicts between the Bush adminisration and the Likud government are most
stark. Those conflicts are relevant because a lot of the folks in the
"neo-conservative" wing of the Republican party are strong Likud
supporters. I don't believe there is a "Zionist conspiracy" but there is
no question that the same militarists who back the "Bush Doctrine" are avid
supporters of Likud. I think it is simply a marriage of economic
convenience. After all, the Israeli government is a great client and
middleman for arms manufacturers.

The Saudi issue may represent the opening of a fault line between neocons
and the rest of the Republican establishment. I think we are going to see
the position pushed by Robert Baer gain more visibility and mainstream
acceptance. The fact is the Saudi Royal family has long been an albatross
around our necks. These guys play the same role for "international
terrorism" that Swiss banks played for Nazis. For a long time folks were
willing to look the other way, but 9.11 changed all that.

Remember when they originally tried to get Kissinger to head this
commission? He demurred because he didn't want to expose himself to
potential "conflicts of interest." What stunned me about that admission
was not that Kissinger was cozy with the people who fund terrorists, but
that no one asked the obvious question:

"What kind of clients could you POSSIBLY have that would represent a
conflict of interest with the victims of a terrorist attack on US soil?"

Well, if you are either "with us or against us" The fact the Bush family
has been so cozy with the Saudi royal family isn't going to help the image
of either.
Chas
2003-07-30 18:17:36 UTC
Post by Peter Vos
Well, if you are either "with us or against us" The fact the Bush family
has been so cozy with the Saudi royal family isn't going to help the image
of either.
'Bandar Bush'???
George Herbert Walker ibn Saud?
He better remember who he works for, Bandar does.

Chas
=> Vox Populi ©
2003-07-30 18:12:01 UTC
Post by Chas
Post by Peter Vos
Well, if you are either "with us or against us" The fact the Bush family
has been so cozy with the Saudi royal family isn't going to help the image
of either.
'Bandar Bush'???
George Herbert Walker ibn Saud?
He better remember who he works for, Bandar does.
And Tony Blair now addresses U.K. Parliment with "My Fellow Americans ..."
Chas
The Holy Kafir
2003-07-30 19:56:14 UTC
They Are Against Us
Wednesday, July 30, 2003
By Ken Adelman
[...]
Sadly every administration has been too cozy with the Saudis. Only real
solution is some other fuel source.
Ken Smith
2003-08-01 02:21:45 UTC
They Are Against Us
Wednesday, July 30, 2003
By Ken Adelman
Fox
[snip]
Post by => Vox Populi ©
Well, we're not Jakarta or Kiev. Someone should remind the Saudis of that. Our
government cannot be bought.
Is it just me ... or does anyone else see the irony in this comment?
Under the auspices of the Enron Administration, everything that hasn't
been nailed down has been sold.